PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2009, 21:35
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe that all that much money has been "wasted" as some claim here. So many "Enthusiasts" have little understanding of the processes and expenses involved in civil certification. Much of the money will have gone to Marshalls and they will have expended a huge amount of 'labour' in producing the required documentation. For example, it may seem to the uninitiated to be a simple matter to replace a Smiths Military Flight System with an ordinary artificial horizon and gyro compass but it is classified as a "Major Modification" and requires full and complete documentation, including proof of compliance and test results. I'd quote at least £15,000 for such an STC seeing as how I'm a sentimental old fool. A hard headed business manager would quote much more than that (for example, in US practice an FAA DER typically charges US$1,000 per day just to look at a modification.) The same applies to a major structural repair - especially when deviating from original design drawings. I think the costs incurred so far are entirely reasonable. The problem with this project is that those who set out on this project fall into two camps - those who naively believed that restoration to flight was a simple matter and those who, like me, appreciated what was involved but chose to wear blinkers and went ahead on the assumption that something was "bound to turn up".