PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - NATS Pay negotiations - latest rumours
Old 29th Jan 2009, 20:17
Standard Noise
StandupfortheUlstermen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hootin - ROVI system isn't dead yet. ROVIs just don't work for NSL as such. The college has it's reasons for that.

I didn't say there was no room at Band 1/2/3 units, I said that ROVIs are given no guarantee that there will be a place for them back at their old unit, the one where they still hold a validation. I know this, trust me.
Take Bristol for example, we are up to OR as of last week (we weren't before NATS came along). If one of our lot goes to the college as a ROVI and the unit slides someone into replace them while they are away (which it will be able to afford since the ROVI isn't on their budget anymore), then how can they walk back in after a two year contract if there is no space for them? Or do you know something I don't?
While a two year contract on Band 5 won't turn anyone into a member of the Porsche club, it will take them above that level of a Band 2 payscale which rules out many units (including their own) as these units can't afford their salary and there are no pay protection/substantive grade type arrangements available for this sort of thing, so the ATCO has to take a pay cut and hope that there is a place for them.

Trawls are all about getting round the hassle and cost of putting someone through a college course (which isn't designed for any NSL unit less busy than Manch anyway). Why not poach people from elsewhere if they're happy to come, the rest of the world does it to NATS.