PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - NATS Pay negotiations - latest rumours
Old 29th Jan 2009, 17:58
alfaman

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks StandardNoise, I appreciate you, like me, have a pretty good picture of life at CATC. But just to lift a quote for a sec, if I may.

"...Why would they do it..." - - good point - why would "they" give up their validations to do an interesting & rewarding job, which relies on them passing on their years of ATC experience to the ATCOs of the future. Why would they give up a month a year for the dubious benefit of "normal hours"? Why would they endure a regime of constant change & constant assessment, no different to where they came from, but with little opportunity to actually practice their hard earned skills? Why would they work for the one company in the business that sees training as a costly waste of time, when the rest of the world sees it as a benefit?

I guess it must be the support of all those they left behind in the operational world...those who remember every ex Trainee since the dawn of time who upset them, but forget all those they work well with every day. Who remember the one guy who (15 years ago) struggled from unit to unit when he was stitched up by the ATCO2/3 shenanigans, who never claimed to be the best ATCO in the world, but forget all those others that worked at Heathrow, Gatwick, TC, Manchester, Birmingham & all across the world etc for many years, without incident. Who turn every opportunity to slag off the folks at Hurn, without ever taking the time (as I believe SN has) to find out exactly what does go on down there. Those who seem to think they got valid all on their own, with no assistance from anyone else enroute. Those who'll shout on an internet forum, but wouldn't put their own backsides in the firing line & say it to an Instructors face. Those who think Aerodrome still uses a light board, & Approach just uses strips...

Yep, that must be it... - it sure ain't the money - the hassle & "support" wouldn't make it anywhere near worthwhile for me. Or maybe they just don't waste their time with trolls on the internet