PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worth Doing an Instructor Rating during Credit Crunch???
Old 29th Jan 2009, 16:46
Flying Squid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MHN.....

Good question mate. I was doing some soul searching whilst walking the dog this afternoon and asked myself the same question. I can't decide either and I will be done with my training fairly soon. As MikeCR says, instructor jobs are on the decline. Ive got a couple of mates instructing and they are struggling to make ends meet at the mo.

I'm seriously considering becoming an instructor for 5 years or so and moving onto CPL/IR instruction. There's reasonably good money in that and there's usually a demand somewhere for them.

The most attractive thing for me is the chance to become a better pilot. The hours are a big plus and should help with the great job hunt when the time comes but some fine tuning of hand flying skill's and having some fun is what really interestes me. I'm not going to lie and say I want to be buzzing around in light twins for the rest of my career but I do like the idea of it for a few years. Spent all this money on training, may aswell enjoy the outcome!

Not sure if this helps your predicament mate but just know you're not alone!

FS