PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Air Traffic Controllers are exploited by ASA
Old 29th Jan 2009, 09:52
Quokka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick, I'm certainly not a young Air Traffic Controller and I'm quite happy to provide any ICAO Class service, with one exception as you and I have discussed in detail before... Class E cannot be provided in airspace where a FLOW control service is being provided.

Why? You may well have understood that if you had seen, during the NAS2b trial, the consequences to the inbound sequence of aircraft arriving at a Capital City airport of an A330 diverting around one of your VFR friends transiting in front of the A330 in Class E airspace, as he/she is quite entitled to do... it was absolute mayhem and a good half-an-hour of combined effort by a number of controllers in achieving the spacing required for landing between all of the arriving aircraft in that sequence instantly become a complete waste of time and effort.

But you didn't see it and somehow you don't see a problem with it.

Ahh, I remember now, you felt sorry for me because I hadn't received the correct training. But hang on a minute... it was the crew of the A330 that demanded clearance to divert around the unidentified VFR aircraft crossing in front of it. I'm not sure how the correct training for me would have prevented the A330 crew from diverting around the aircraft on a collision course?

Perhaps you could explain to the crew of the A330 and to myself how IFR aircraft in Class E airspace subject to FLOW Control sequencing can avoid VFR aircraft on a collision course without compromising the integrity of the sequence of arriving aircraft and without altering their vertical descent profile to ensure that the VNAV requirements on the STAR are complied with...?