PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 4
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2009, 22:32
paarmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really see the development of Teesside Airport alongside running it as an airport.
Houses are out.Would you buy a house with the back garden overlooking a runway?.( Yes I suppose some of you would but we are talking real world here. Planners would not allow it on safety grounds anyway.)
Business premises are already planned but with every local authority within 100 miles of the airport having huge square footage already available and brownfield and greenfield sites available for self build then the opportunities are bleak at best unless as Peel have claimed the business park will be reliant on aviation.
Closing the airport and building houses is not an option at the moment and for the foreseeable future.
Similarly for business units.
Shops would appear to be out also as there are readily available units available in whatever design and layout you require at every High Street and out of town shopping centre in the country let alone the Teesside area.
Peel appear to have spent nearly £5 million pounds at the airport since their takeover and must be subsidising the running costs on a month to month basis.
They must believe that they have a future in aviation in some way at Teesside but with the current management I do not see what their masterplan is.