PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - Forthcoming ATSOCAS changes
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2009, 21:34
Use the Force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airac,

Read the Cap 774, not a great read! What I am referring to is similar to what has been previously stated, The interpretation of responsibility during a transition between two controllers, If I have go to court I would prefer something more substantial then a paragraph under a sub title of terrain. Is this what you refer to?

When aircraft are in the initial stages of departure or on final approach, due to limited aircraft manoeuvrability, controllers need to balance the safety impact of passing deconfliction advice at these critical stages of flight against the risk of collision presented by conflicting aircraft. Consequently, deconfliction minima do not apply in these constrained circumstances and avoiding action is instead aimed at preventing collision. Furthermore, controllers need to be aware of the high flight deck workload that is likely to be present in the event of avoiding action which is at variance to the published missed approach procedure being followed.

The procedures regarding deconfliction advice to aircraft on initial departure and final approach are designed to cater for ‘pop up’ conflictions over which the controller has no advance warning due to the uncontrolled nature of Class G airspace. Controllers should attempt to co-ordinate and deconflict observed traffic prior to allowing either the departure of an aircraft that is expected to require Deconfliction Service, or the final approach of an aircraft that is already receiving a Deconfliction Service.

Where aircraft are transferred to the Aerodrome Controller once established on final instrument approach, ATC units should use internal ATC liaison processes to ensure that warnings of conflicting traffic are passed in a timely fashion to the pilot.

What happens if the ADI controller is busy? I am trying to pass deconflicting advice and he/she is dealing with an emergency for example?

I am tilting towards making it clear that my responsibility to deconflict will end when I finish speaking to the aircraft! Self preservation Duty of Care!

Do not get me started on the gash phraseology