PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - Forthcoming ATSOCAS changes
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2009, 22:55
glider insider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In answer to a couple of points raised already.

FIS - I believe ICAO refers to all of the services available to pilots in a particualr country / area as the Flight Information Services available (including radar services), which is at odds, and apparently confusing, when compared to our existing FIS.

The word radar is deliberately ommitted from the names of the new services to stop comparisons being made to the old services with "radar" in.

12th March - Why March, prob because thats the earliest they believe everyone can sort themselves out by. (and thats been delayed once) Why the 12th? I had heard that Thursday is statistically a day with lower traffic levels than other week days.

As for availability of services, according to SRG all service providers have signed up to and are willing to provide a Deconfliction service, whereas they will not currently offer a RAS.

As for phraseology, changes are being made on both civil and mil sides of the fence; as with any change grin and bear it as after a couple of weeks usage it will feel normal again.

As for now not stating inches, but stating Mb's when below 1000, is it common for the initial 2 to be ommitted from a pressure in inches where inches is the common standard? i.e "Set QNH 9x91" rather than 29x91