PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The ADF buys another Lemon
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2009, 21:30
Bushranger 71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longevity.....

Some of the recent dialogue this thread - since it was suggested to me I participate - has been constructive and enjoyable but the derogatory stuff from a few quite disappointing.

Longevity is not a bar to researching military stuff and questioning the worsening situation on the Australian defence scene since the Tange Re-organization in 1974. When my ability in this regard was challenged, I perhaps unwisely outlined my family military lineage and participation with Air Power Australia just to demonstrate that I do endeavour to stay in touch.

I was invited to participate in the APA forum and am somewhat a wild card challenging a fair bit of their thinking. Their mooting how the air combat components of the RAAF should be structured somewhat dilutes the effect of some of their fine analysis work regarding aircraft performance and weaponry that is very difficult to ascertain from other sources. But is it not good to have another think tank that functions somewhat outside the square than just be brainwashed by the plethora of such institutions that are patronized by Defence and the arms industry?

So I had duff gen on RAAF B707 airframe hours; but my point was there are abundant KC-135R that will probably be operating in the USAF for decades which could have perhaps provided an adequate upgraded capability in lieu of introducing yet another somewhat unique type!. Going down the MRTT track could mean it will now be very difficult to get funding for any more C-17 before the production line ends.

The Australian defence capabilities determination and procurement system has become progressively more broken necessitating significant organizational restructuring and this problem is hugely compounded by the influence peddling that goes on in Canberra. A colleague who retired a couple of decades back as a 1 Star gets a package around $500K per annum just to haunt offices and fete politicians and senior military personnel around the country. Nice work if you can get it so imagine what might be offered to former Ministers for Defence who take positions with major ‘arms bazaar’ players!

Little bundles of assets like 4 x C17, 5 x MRTT, 6 x Wedgetail will not be credible military capacities considering the likely continuous availability of about only half on line. The whole structure of the small ADF warrants rethinking to provide more viable functions and so hard decisions to shed (or place in reserve storage) equipments that cannot presently provide adequate operational capabilities due to supportability or manning considerations.

Some positives from the debate this forum seem to have been recognition that equipments in service should be progressively optimized to maintain credible operational status until replacement is justifiable; also, some ‘adequate’ modest cost capabilities that can be sustainably supported in harsh operating environments are essential in the military hardware mix.

Australia simply cannot afford the 50 percent increase in defence spending over the next decade that has been supported by both major political parties so ADF capabilities rationalization may be an outcome of the emerging Defence White Paper.

I prefer to exit now and will give contributing some historical stuff a miss which dedicated warriors may have found interesting as it would have embraced so-called airmobile operations and the mythical requirement for carriage of an infantry squad/section.

Last edited by Bushranger 71; 28th Jan 2009 at 03:54.