PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2009, 19:59
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by robdean
ChristiaanJ - it's on record that the birds were seen before impact and identified as such... I'm not sure Sully got as far as twenty-and-three before they hit though...
Rob, this may be true but it is also a physiological fact that while the brain my place the birds to the front of the observer the observers motion in the time between the image striking the retina and the brain decoding that image could put the birds behind the observer.

This delay loop is all part and parcel of 'thinking distance' when applied to a car breaking. Now the 'thinking distance' has been accepted as 0.67 seconds - 300 feet? - but

<<Those of us who have the misfortune of having to investigate and analyse road crashes have long realised through numerous studies that an approximate thinking time for driver's is about 1.5 seconds not the 0.67 seconds you are suggesting.

The 1.5 seconds quote is an estimation only as many factors do come into play as pointed out be 'Joe'. >>

Applying 1.5 seconds to your 250 k example will give a distance of about 700 feet.

Now consider the correct as opposed to instrinctive reaction.