PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Duxford 2009 September Air Show
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2009, 13:38
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
September visit

The town of Stamford, Lincolnshire is a really, really attractive place, mostly sandstone, not too far from Duxford and maybe more chance of booking a room there while the show is on.

It's also very near RAF Wittering, so although Harriers have moved to Cottesmore I'd guess there's a better than even chance of seeing one or two.

If you're further south during your visit, the large Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton, Somerset is VERY worth a look ( pot luck if there's anything flying from the naval base ) with Concorde - ok there's one at Duxford too -research aircraft such as BS188, HP115, Fairey Delta, various stages of Harriers & other aircraft, a simulated carrier flight deck with real aircraft of various ages & types, and tons to look at.

There's also Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset if that should take your fancy, I should think the best tank museum in the world, and there's

Tangmere Military Aviation Museum near Chichester, West Sussex ( a very nice town in its' own right, probably of interest to the other half ) - it's a static museum, albeit with various simulators to try a hand at, + world speed record afterburning Hunter, speed record Meteor, Lightning, Hunter F6, Sea Harrier FA2, T-33, Sea Vixen, Phantom, Vampire, extremely good replicas of prototype Spitfire K5054, Spitfire 5C, Hurricane ( you wouldn't know until told ) a Hunter F4 cockpit to sit in, and several days' worth of exhibits to peer at.

Though not aviation, to make the most of your visit Portsmouth Historic Dockyard is very good, with Nelson's HMS Victory ( guided tours around the ship ) HMS Warrior 1860 steam / sail first ironclad - open to public - the recovered wreck of the Tudor warship Mary Rose ( personally think not much to see ) and the Dockyard historic buildings & Naval Museum which are well worth a look.

All this is next to the Gunwharf Quays development full of restaraunts of all types, and the Spinnaker Tower ( I forget the height but let's say b---y high ) which gives terrific views over the harbour & Solent.

There's also the Submarine Museum at Gosport, just on the Western side of Portsmouth.

No doubt others can chip in attractions I've missed - enjoy your visit and have a happy anniversary ( but make sure you go to the show ! ) DZ.

Last edited by Double Zero; 27th Jan 2009 at 13:50.