PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The ADF buys another Lemon
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2009, 12:27
herkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly I should say, that we the public owe a great deal to people like Bushranger, who have the experience and know what they are looking at.

The introduction of the UH1B and later models into war conditions, was done only several years after we received them into service, bearing in mind that previously the RAAF had no real large scale helicopter operational experience.

Partly understanding the limitations of all of the helicopters introduced since then, it appears except for the Blackhawk, that they have been a compromise of sorts, which may or may not be a problem in the future. This I am not qualified to say.

However the government has over the years, to put it bluntly has done too little and too late in regard to aircraft replacements, or upgrades.

Let us look into some of them.

In 1966 the USAF badly wanted to get their hands on our A model gunships, and offered a great deal if we traded them on E models. Nothing came of that (they wanted them to turn into gunships) and so they continued in service, long after their use by date. Yes we did have the E model on order and they arrived on time and gave good service. However once again we repeated the mistakes of the A model, and did not keep them up too scratch in regard to mod states and centre section replacements, until in the end it would be hard to justify the money to do so.

This buy the is the same reason, that most of the pre J model aircraft, are flying with restrictions with particularly every Air Force but especially the USAF.

Where are we and the RAF travelling, the same route as before, with fatique becoming a long term issue with both of these Air Forces aircraft, the J seeming to roll this problem forward, because of the increased HP.

Replacing the centre section I am informed is not a 5 minute job, and the lead time is likewise. Can old air frames be brought back again I am not able to say, but the fact that 6 of our E models are now front line aircraft with the PAF should indicate that planed correctly, upgrades can and should be succesfull.

The Caribou is another one in case, as long ago proposals have been made to re engine this aircraft and until the recent structual failure, the engine were considered to be the shortfall of the aircraft. None of the RAAF aircraft came with new engines, and the cost and difficulty of maintaining these old and tired engines has steadily increased. Whilst understanding the Army did not want to carry JP1 into the field at the time, today it is the 100 octane which is the problem to cart.

The 707 good aircraft as it was, received the attention of the bean counters and we had to loose good men, in an accident that should never have happened, before out polital masters did what should have been from day one bought a simulator. As result of penny pinching, the 707 was taken out of service, long before its replacement will be operational.

However in the meantime we no longer have an air to air refueling capacaity. My understanding is that in spite of the French and Singapore Air forces buying the KC135R, the decision was that we did not want to buy second hand. Boeing could have kept both the 707 and the KC135R in the air for a considerable time, but even after we have bought 5 KC30 we find our polital masters, lacking the guts to run the gaunlet of the press, have pinched and are going to convert at a cost of A$45M two of our tankers, so they can ride in comfort and carry all their hangers on and baggage.

About the only thing we can shout success at, is the C17 purchase, a great purchase and an even greater task of getting them into service quickly. However once again we have failed to understand, that just like the RAF, four are not enough, and knowing our politcal people, the line will be shut before we understand this. Four C17's do not make 12 C130J's.

What I am saying is that the government should keep out of the selection process, and should have confidence that the armed forces can make the right selection, or have to live with it. Why we have to Australianise every thing we buy almost I will never know.

The UH1 series, C130A, Caribou, C130E, C130H, Blackhawk have all performed well and were virtually standard military aircraft when they entered service.

Rant off

Regards

Col