PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2009, 11:26
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me how much fuel I can carry in a R44 raven 2 clipper, when I carry 4 average weight blokes
Saddler,
I do believe that you have hit upon a question, the wrong answer for which could easily have been the cause of two fatals for all four on board each time, that I remember in recent times in OZ.

The fuel in the R44 is aft of the C of G and of course the pax are forward of C of G. So when calculationg your mission weight and balance be sure to calculate the Cof G within limits at flights end minus the reserve fuel in case you have to fly a little longer than you hoped for.
In fact claculate it for near on empty for good measure.

Don't take an estimated answer on here as gospel. I believe that as this aircraft can so easily fowl the careless approach on this issue, that you should always use scales, a good slide rule and the correct aircraft data.

Why?
If the engine stops and you suddenly need a big movement of aft cyclic, then the A/C must be within C of G limits to allow an auto-rotational attitutde to be set up.
I should also add that you may simply run out of aft cyclic while you are flying around burning off fuel weight and not be able to arrest a simple nose low attitude for any of the myriad reasons that they present themselves from time to time.
be careful.

be extra careful
tet.