PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 26th Jan 2009, 21:38
Ireland151

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low FATS score

Dear all,

I come from an Army background (Dad, brothers etc. are all serving with different regiments). As a result, I too went on to pass the Army Officer Selection Board and I also completed aptitudes for the Army Air Corps. Additionally, I was fortunate enough to pass Army Flying Grading with a decent overall score/write up.

However, although I DO want to be commissioned in to the Forces, I also want to fly. This has been a life long dream but because of my family and the Army, I never really considered the other two services. To cut a long story short, I turned down the offer of attending Sandhurst (there is no guarantee of getting a place with the Air Corps and competition is fierce) and attended various Navy presentations/visits instead. I researched thoroughly in to life as a Fleet Air Arm pilot, passed my filter interview and have just sat my FATS.

The problem is that I got an awful score of 113 (scraped a pass). However, I have still been given an AIB date. I am inclined to think that no matter how well I do at AIB, it is unlikely that I will be considered for pilot due to my uncompetitive aptitude? Is it daft of me to hope that my Army Flying Grading report may support my application and suggest to the board that I do have potential for further military flying training?

Sorry about the long post - any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!