PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2009, 19:41
patrickal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And yet the would be "engineers" here on PPRuNe seem to think that a big red switch to allow the pilot to over-ride the FADEC would have saved the day (or at least allowed at dry landing)
Agreed!! I am not an engineer nor a commercial pilot, but when I look at the "probably not accurate" map showing the flightpath altitudes and airspeed. what strikes me is that if they were to try to do anything other than what they did, they would be rapidly sacrificing altitude by making hard turns, dropping gear, and possibly setting slats/flaps. Plus they had no idea what other damage to flight controls had been incurred.

I should also point out that either Teteboro or LGA would involve clearing some pretty high obstacles. Take a look at this IAP for Runway 19 at TEB. Look at height of all of the obstacles to be cleard for any return to LGA or landing at TEB. http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0901/00890I19.PDF . Plus he would have to use RWY 19, as RWY 24 is only 6030 feet, a real risk with no power and possibly no brakes or spoilers also.

The only sure thing they had was what they had in front of them. Anyone that second guesses this team, given the results they accomplished, is just plain stupid. I would go so far as to include the NTSB in that group if they do in the end come out and say that they could have reached LaGuardia or Teterboro. Let the results speak for themselves. Has anyone tried this in a sim yet?

Patrick

Last edited by patrickal; 26th Jan 2009 at 19:56.