PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best way to Become a Commercial Pilot?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2009, 13:04
mover shaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the other guys - a sponsorship would be mighty nice but they are few and far between and generally guys going for them have degrees and qualifications already to help make them look more impressive and valuable to the airline.
I wouldn't say modular was necessarily a great route if you want to get straight into a an airline following training. A lot of airlines will only take low hour guys who have integrated backgrounds, and often only from favoured schools such as Oxford, Cabair, CTC, Jerez, 43... who have links and contacts with the airlines to help get their students in.
Its expensive but in the long run gives you more chance of an airline job!
Sights like futureairlinepilot.com give good and (relatively) up to date info on who is employing and sponsorships available and look out in pilot magazines for the training school convention they hold at Heathrow - it is great for talking directly with the schools and often the airlines will give Q&A sessions on their recruitment requirements.

With regards training in the States, it is good over there especially for hour building but converting to the JAR IR can be tough because the standards in the UK are more rigourous than those in the States (so I hear) New Zealand and South Africa are also good countries to consider - if you go modular then definitely for your hour building.

Good luck whichever way you go!