PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 412
Thread: Bell 412
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2009, 00:32
shak'n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food for Thought:

Shilka,

Just for info, we have had an occasion with a B412 which had a Hyd Sys fail and the aircraft was landed ASAP (thankfully) on a beach about 7nm from the field. After shutdown it was noted that lots of Hyd oil under the aircraft. Closer inspection revealed that both Hyd lines had been chaffing together where they run close together up the hell hole and are supposed to be kept separated by Adel Clamps, until one finally perforated with the inevitable result.

The second line was also chaffed almost through the wall thickness. How long would the second system have lasted....how long is a piece of string? But with my luck, I'm sure Murphy would step in and stuff my day......

So I'll treat a system which is grandfather on 1950's technology, which has no decent, well designed Leak/Detection/Isolation system with huge suspicion . Especially when it relies on a serviceable Hyd System to maintain controlled flight and only gives you 2 x systems each which run close beside each other.......too much room for potential problems for my liking.

I think the Huehy system (1 x Hyd sys) was inherently safer, at least you could fly it when it did fail....

Food for Thought......

Shak'n