PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LAHSO (Land and hold short ) at Sydney airpart
Old 16th Apr 2002, 20:25
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

But not in the States where LAHSO is offered and expected by some controllers. My airline (like a lot of european operators) prohibit it's use and like BEagle I am required to refuse a LAHSO clearance if offered.

But it came in surrepticiously, only being highlighted by BA when one of their 744s rejected a take off at ORD and crossed the path of a landing aircraft.

I first came across the procedure three years ago shortly after it's introduction. Having accepting a LAHSO clearance not really undrstanding it's significance, I was suprised to see an aicraft take off just in front of me, having only stopped just short of the intersection. As a result of this and a bit of research, I hightlighted it to my company and had it banned. (Same company as BEagles).

Now, on runways that are certified for LAHSO, reduced LDAs should be published. Jepp charts have these LDAs printed on them. But it doesn't reduce the risk IMHO.

LAHSO is no the same as simultaneous runway operations as used at places such as SFO, as there is no requirement to reduce your LDA.

However, Canada has it's own version of LAHSO called SIRO (Simultaneous Intersecting Runway Operations) which does sound a bit like the US simultaneous runway operations, but is in fact LAHSO.

ALPA recommended that it's members reject all LAHSO clearances.

If you do accept a LAHSO clearance, take great care!