PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you have any advice? Starting PPL in two weeks.
Old 25th Jan 2009, 20:25
Airbus Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you have the right attitude already. One thing I will add. Its very easy to buy all the kit, and look like a total plonker. Of course, some people want to look like "A Pilot" so must have the black leather flight bag, flying suit, David Clark headset and Top Gun sunglasses. They have umpteen different coloured pens, every available map, folded in every configuration, etc. etc.
You don't have to buy into this!!!
I didn't even buy a headset until I had many many hours, and that is only because I was abroad and there was a new policy of providing your own headsets. So I went and bought the cheapest ones, $60 I think they were, and hell, they did the job!
Most people I know who were in aviation before doing their licences are much more discreet about it all. A plastic carrier bag is just as good as a black case (probably better, actually!) or whatever bag you want. Have a biro and some paper (or a little notebook is useful) to remember what your instructor says at the end of the lesson because its easy for it to go in one ear and out the other.
Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question!
The main thing to know is everyone has a weak area(s) and so don't be disheartened if it all seems to be going really well and then you hit something that isn't so easy.
And don't over-analyse.
Enjoy!