PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you have any advice? Starting PPL in two weeks.
Old 25th Jan 2009, 17:44
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am quite fascinated by the suggested need for fancy headsets on this (and other) private flying forums. It seems to me that there is a bit of a "posers element" involved at this level of aviation with regard to headsets, just as there is about "fancy watches".

I flew professionally for 46 years and used just about every imaginable headset from the complete bonedome package (I was in the RAF for 18 years) to the tiny little plastic frame that fitted round my left ear lobe when I flew DC-10s in the USA (used with a hand mike).

When I retired, I bought a PA-28 for fun flying and went through the "what headset shall I get" phase. I ended up buying four basic David Clark 13.4s for the aeroplane and none of my (very experienced) mates or myself has ever registered a complaint as yet.

Let's face it, you are never in a PA-28 long enough for it to matter.

You haven't lived until you have spent 14 hours listening to HF on AM in the Middle East and Africa using a "cloth hat"!

By the way, I went solo in a glider at Edzell in 1957 and a Tiger Moth at Scone in 1958.