PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2009, 16:33
h&s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one of the very few who will return to profit very quickly, if not so already. Pretty good for a low brain airline eh?
It's actually possible to be a low brain airline and to be profitable! What I don't like to see are comments such as they are genius, with very good network, very good revenue management etc whereas they actually have the worst of the inustry in all these fields

Ryanair is making money mainly thanks to Dublin and the situation of monopoly with many airports (= plenty of subsidies). There are few others such as no distribution costs (nothing genius here, just have a website that works... and even that, they can't make it...) and very low salaries, especially to cabin crew and HQ staff (which explain a huge turnover at HQ).
Few questons I would be happy to ask MOL:
- do you expect any of these routes to be profitable: BOHLIG, BOHREU, REUNador, LTNLIG, plus the dead in the water MALDVLC, BRIMLA etc etc
- if you know that curent toughest europen market is obviously the UK, so why do you continue to base all your expansions plans in the UK market????
Ryanair last annoucement was for an expansion in: BOH, BRS and EDI!!! This is crazy. Just few new routes outside uk for ALC, but actually was mainly UK/irish routes and few at REU.

What is the network strategy of Ryanair??? Expanding in the most difficult market? Do they really think they could kill easyJet which is going from success to success, especially in... continental europe?

6 months ago, I said that contrary to what were saying MOL, the biggest winner of the crisis will be easyJet (because they use main airport and business high yield PAX will switch from major to EZY) AND NOT ryanair, because contrary to 2001, its main competitors were now offering lowest fares. In 2001, business PAX swith from EI and BA to ryanair because the prices differences were huge, but as these airlines restructured, the price difference is nowday not big enough to change and to loose FF points. At the end, yes a business passenger could swith from AZ to EZY for CDGMXP, but will never swith from AZ to FR to do a BGYBVA.
This is exactly what happened

anna-list, I can see we agree for a majority of our points of view.
To call them 'low brain' seems a little bit harsh, but in any case I'm sure they will continue to make mistakes and will continue to amuse us with their press releases
he he

Ryanair's management has a very weird attitude towards any researches concerning the destinations, route selection, demand otlook and the passengers' opinions. In many occasions they simply prefer the empirical approach (try-as-you-go) – but it looks pretty chaotic sometimes
totally agree with eu01. Ryanair should go in an optimisation era but still prefer the brutal low brain solutions, that is less and less working

Another thing I am thinking about: the transatlantic airline. I know they are working on it, but MOL always said that they will have a business class to subsidies the eco class, as always. But I ma wondering if there is a potential for business passengers with an airport like Niagara falls? Just a question here, but looks like very weird to me