PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority Lists - Yes/No??
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2009, 03:34
Glassos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, 'my' airline has never been bailed out by the government. But, nice try at changing the subject!

Actually, it seems that you have a lot of heartburn over the seniority issue, and have posted several scathing attacks on the concept. From that I must conclude that you have some personal experience which has soured you on the seniority concept. I sense that nothing I might say to you, will convince you otherwise.

However, for those who are open-minded, and have yet to experience a seniority based system I would like to reiterate what many posters on here have already said.

There are pros and cons to the system, mostly based on how far you have progressed up the 'ladder. Unfortunately, airline management is rarely benevolent so we can't rely on them to do the right thing. So, from a worker bee perspective, seniority is the fairest way to level the playing field. It largely prevents management from manipulating it's pilot group.

Some have suggested that a seniority system allows unqualified personnel to progress, and I reject that completely. A rigid selection process ensures qualified pilots are hired, and a structured ongoing educational process ensures uniformity across the pilot population. Most airlines have a professional standards peer pilot group which counsels pilots who stray from the straight and narrow.

It's very rare for a pilot to be terminated for a violation of the regs or a accident/incident. In fact, at my airline, most of the very few pilots get that do get terminated, are for issues unrelated to their flying skills - sexual harassment , abusing sick leave or other absenteeism issues, or drug/alcohol abuse.