PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2009, 18:24
Cypherus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An avid supporter of the project from inception I have watched with growing concern as the 558 project has stumbled in a hapless fashion from crisis and disaster through triumph and once again to uncertainty all the while stoically associated with a body of silence from those responsible for the project other than meekly worded threats about imminent closure and final demise, and all of this has forced me too look hard at the projects original viability and organisation.

Reading through Tim’s latest post he makes good points that have niggled at people from the start.

As the originators of the projects major funding, the HLF, who time and again have had praise heaped upon them for the donation of the seed capital and provision of the credibility that such funding bestows seem to have avoided the real fall out of the projects financial problems by simply pointing too the confidentiality of their dealings with the TVOC senior board members regarding the original funding agreement, all well and good on the face of it, but looking harder at the HLF and it’s record of funding projects one finds that there is praise in abundance for those that have survived but little information on those that once seeded have gone on too close soon after the HLF capital was expended.

Which brings me too my major gripe with the HLF/TVOC involvement with the project, Too many times they provide large and small sums of money to start such projects with it would appear little or no regard for the longevity of same, seemingly to believe that once the money is handed over and accolades given their responsibility is over, in the case of 558 the money donated was always applauded as a one off donation and the project would be required too survive or fall on it’s own merits thereafter, the HLF would not give another penny too the funding, but do they not have a responsibility too the fund to ensure that the money they donate is used in the best interests of the project and as such failure should and would be seen clearly as lack of due care on their behalf to the aims of the fund, seems so as they quietly sit and watch numerous funded projects fail each year..

Yes the HLF provided enough money once the names were aboard to start the project, but in truth are the very organisation that was and is directly responsible for it’s demise by not correctly funding such a major project over the term of it’s tenure and for allowing the underperformance of the projects management to continue, but it would appear that their actual ability to control what goes on within the TVOC upper echelons is limited or non existent.

As for the TVOC fund raising efforts, farcical or what they should simply stop chasing the large sponsors, and concentrate on getting a regular flow of small donations from any and all sources, if the project had anything too offer the large corporations they would have invited themselves aboard long before now, obviously they do not see it as a well run beneficial source of advertising exposure so do not consider getting involved.

I for one will continue too support the project via the VTTS for the value I get from their efforts, but I have little expectations of seeing 558 over Eastbourne or any other venue for that matter again.