PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Applying to the fleet air arm, is it the right decision
Old 24th Jan 2009, 10:47
stude101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Being away from girlfriend and family can be tough but if you really want to fly you deal with it and accept it as part of the job. Military flying is the most fun you can have that lasts over 5 minutes, you just have to accept that unlike most jobs there are times when you cannot see your other half for a long time.

2. I would not say you need a mindset, you just need to be very determined and very motivated. Only a few guys sail through training with no snags, the majority have to work bloody hard and come up against problems at some point. At these times determination, motivation and long hours are all that get you through along with help from your mates.

3. I personally never really considered the risk in training as I had not started on an alternative career path. Some guys inevitably get chopped, much the same as any other job. I get the impression you are looking to weigh up the risks of carrying on in law or sacking it in and trying to become a pilot. No-one on this forum can tell you that your training will be successfull and that you wont get binned as you passing is a reflection of the work you put in and natural ability. So if you want a career where you risk very little stay in law, if you believe you have the qualities to succeed and test yourself apply and see if you have what it takes.
The return of service will depend on where you get in training when you are binned.

If you want any more info pm me.

Stude

Last edited by stude101; 24th Jan 2009 at 12:49.