PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA not renewing 70% Expat Contracts
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2009, 04:58
Chambudzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know anything about the DAC incident but would love to hear about it SIA sniffer. I was there at 10pm local time last night and can see how easily there could be a tragedy there anytime soon. Controllers who mumble, get short tempered when they are missunderstood and who persistently clip their transmissions are a part of the problem. Their VHF range does not cover their boundaries. Then there was the STAR - they call it a VOR, ILS but the ILS part cant be guaranteed because the DAC beacon and associated DME is dicky. The weather was foggy with RVR 700 mtrs, they have NO RADAR so you need to call them every minute or so to tell them what progress you are making with the decent to 2000 ft. Tie that in with a thick accent, numerous stepped on transmissions, a mouth full of betal nut and you have a nice recipe for trouble. It is a most uncomfortable arrival into a black hole onto a very rough runway with hardly visible markings and signage.
Some may say that is what we are paid for but it doesnt need to be like that so I am not surprised to hear there has been a recent incident with more to come undoubtably.