PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Applying to the fleet air arm, is it the right decision
Old 24th Jan 2009, 00:01
docash1983

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Applying to the fleet air arm, is it the right decision

Hi guy and girls,

I am considering applying for the fleet air arm (fast-jet or helicopters). However despite joining up being at the back of my mind for many years now, I have always had my reservations.

The best way to outline them is to give a little background information about myself so that those of you in the navy (whether fleet air arm or not), can advise on whether it is something which you think is right for me.

I’m 25, 26 this year and so know that the age limit is against me, have an LLB Law degree and I am currently studying for my Legal Practise Certificate, so as far as I am aware I am within the parameters of the academic requirements. I’m fairly sure therefore that some of you will ask why study to be a lawyer if you want to be a pilot? Basically at the time it seemed like a roundabout way to get good money in order to save for an ATPL. However, I am becoming increasingly despondent with the prospect of waiting and saving the cash to get into flight training (which could potentially be for many years with loan repayments etc etc).

Therefore my concerns/questions are the following:
1)What is life in this area of forces really like (i.e being away from girlfriends, family)?
2)What kind of mind set one must have in order to deal with the training?
3)Moreover and more importantly, what are the risks involved with the training?
-Failure of training and potential mandatory requirements for service afterwards (in order to pay for your training so to speak)?

Thanks Docash1983