PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSR-2 (Merged a few times)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2009, 22:45
tornadoken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Misdeeds: See the Big Picture.

LBJ sought UK support in SE.Asia (later: ) “even a band of bagpipers would do.” Healey/Foreign Sec.P.Gordon-Walker sat with Secs.Def/State, 7-9/12/64: For.Relations,V.XII,W.Europe,UK236,Memo., Conversation, Defense Problems. N’nl Archives & Records Admin.,RG 59,Ball Papers:Lot 74 D272, MLF No.4.95/09/11: (10% of UK Defence) “was for a strategic nuclear role, 30% (defense of) Europe, 30% "overseas", 30% home (Outside Europe,UK) could cover 95% of contingencies (but to) cover the last 5% (required) additional effort of c.£1Bn. (UK) should have the best weapons (hence the) desirability of buying certain (of them from US). Quite apart from the economic benefits (UK) needed to maintain its R&D. This would have to be discussed (if UK) were to "go American" for certain weapons (The funding time-frame) envisaged was 10 years (The effect) would be to reduce (Defence GNP share from) 7½% to 5%. (Sec.Def McNamara:the) only way (was) to make hard decisions regarding equipment (and) destroy the myth that an arms industry is necessary for economic expansion. (R&D took) only c.5% of (DoD) budget. (US) could help (by) working out a cooperative R&D program. (UK was funding) certain projects which made no sense militarily (a) waste of money (-) TSR.2 (and) certain other projects. (US+UK) could benefit through greater integration. What US needed (was) a firm (UK) policy of acting as a world power (then) US could help with the problem of the 5%”. (Me: that's the last 5% of UK's Defence 'contingencies' - i.e a subsidy from US to keep UK in a world-gendarme role). (Healey: ) “had it not been for UK's prompt action in throwing “nugatory forces” into E.Africa (in Jan.) the West might have had another Congo on its hands. (UK shortly) might have to send another battalion to Br.Guiana” (SecDef:US) “could not be the gendarmes of the universe. At heart (Americans) are isolationists (what) others are doing has a great effect on what (US can do. UK has a) multiplying effect on our own role”.

LBJ gave Wilson a 10-years' credit package offer, most of which was taken up. It included F-111K for Indian O. deployment. On 16/1/68 UK, safely taking on favourable terms F-4M/C-130K et al, abandoned any world-gendarme notion, consolidated itself on W.Germany+Cyprus, dumped F-111K, and embarked on (to be) Tornado for NATO deployment. If I had been LBJ , no bagpipers, I would have been peeved. He left much of Healey's industrial offset in place - RB211-535C on 757, Spey TF41 and Elliott HUD in A-7E, non-compete support for Magic Carpet (Saudi Air Defence), but chopped Jetstream as USAF C-11A, thus destroying HP.