PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot gets 3 years for Coventry Airport helicopter attack
Old 16th Apr 2002, 12:46
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
A shocking abuse of the privilege of holding a license. I have no idea if the CAA or the legal system have the ability to permanently withdraw the right to hold a pilots license, but if they can, in this case I'd say they should. Presumably since it's possible, for example, to ban somebody from owning a dog, similar laws can be called into force.

As to legal action, I suspect that Mrs SATCO and her husband are probably entitled to only very little if anything from the criminal injuries fund. Many of us have criticised the current trend to litigation, myself included. But, in this case if Mr and Mrs SATCO were to take civil action against Lees, I for one would applaud. Perhaps even some of us here who are aviation professionals could offer assistance in such an action. With any luck, this would have three consequences. Firstly to compensate the SATCO family for their trauma and Mr SATCO's entirely understandable inability to work, secondly to ensure that Lees never again has enough funds to fly anything more dangerous than a kite, and finally it will show the world that as aviators we will look after our own, both in terms of supporting those damaged through no fault of their own, and in punishing the irresponsible.

G