PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2009, 18:08
PIK3141

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A puzzle as posted on another website is that there are clearly 6 Ryanairs based at PIK from some point up to the end of June, an increase of 1. Then it drops back to 5 or 4, but with the suggestion their full schedule is not yet loaded. I would suggest there are two largely separate markets here, one currently PIK based, one EDI based. Chicken and egg means if FR have more aircraft here, more needs done to the lounge, but if less aircraft, then PIK don't need to do so much. Presumably PIK and Ryanair know the facts of their relationship, and I see no reason that those of us who don't know should speculate that it's a relationship under strain.

PIK could be said to be operating 3 distinct and potentially separate businesses:-
1/ The passenger operation, with Ryanair, Wizz, Aer Arran, and some holiday flights and charters.
2/ The freighters, Cargolux, Air France and Atlas (Panalpina), with now fewer fuel stops (odd Evergreen still appears), and with freight charters, mainly AN12, 26 and 124's
3/ Everything else on the rest of the airfield, the Navy, light aircraft, and increasing fuel stop business with everything from PC12's to AN124's including military. This afternoon 2 C130's and 1 AN124. These are very worthwhile business to the local hotels.

However, the suggestion of night-time closure sounds like a very typical accountant in action. The last Ryanair is back around midnight, assuming all are on time, the first out is 0630. But if PIK Handling, Greer and Ocean Sky want an ad-hoc especially fuel stop business, they MUST offer 24 hour opening. Many of these AN124's have been night movements. Night-time closure is the spiral to declining business Mr Rodwell, when you should be supporting your own PIK Handling, and Greer, and Ocean Sky, and Ryanair, and your other Customers by maintaining 24 hour operation.

Beyond that, not PIK, but high value employment, most of Spirit, Slingsby, BAE, Caledonian, and the new ATC centre are recruiting, with Goodrich going from 280 to near 500 employees. West of Scotland engineering recruitment including consulting houses is very buoyant, and that I do know first-hand.