PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2009, 12:45
Able Archer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst this long running and long suffering thread continues to follow the UK economy, you have to review what is fact.
Lots of hugs and kisses to supporters, workers, sponsors, aircrew and VOC in getting this aircraft to where it is.
VTTS decided a long time back to take the long road to success which has high risk.
It took a good ten years for the sea vixen to return to flight, so VOC should never announced that the aircraft in 1999 will be flying in 2000.

VOC have been taking our hard earned cash of us for 10 years now. The £40 name on the bomb bay door was the first of many fleeces. In fact they are in breach of the law and you can reclaim the £40 through the online small claims court in Northampton if anyone wants a refund.
I have personally decided VTTS will not get 1p from me until they become more transparent.
Unlike other charities in this expense zone, they have seemed to employ any one who passes the gates at the air field. They really have to stop doing this. They base a £2m annual fundraising budget on volunteers to dream up ideas. Most of the ideas bring in £500 - £1000 a time. Very nice income if you are a Morris Men group or a local dramatic company. But sadly flying a Vulcan is not in that category.

I see the latest cash generator is a days shooting with the VOC management of which £17 of the £39 ticket go's to keeping the Vulcan flying. Limited to 32 places = £ 544 profit BEFORE expenses of VOC staff travelling to the venue for the day and any out of pocket expenses.

As repeated elsewhere, non engineering salaries are a huge chunk of the budget, but all charities have this people in these positions. Terry Wogan get's paid for hosting Children In Need, it happens.
Then we have the trustees, a bunch of guys to oversee a continuing failing charity. As I have said before they give the impression of lacking any corporate backbone. With the charity on the brink, they really should be a little more active in the day to day running of it.
Suggest: Existing non engineering staff to work a 3 day week until fully funded - that includes the CEO. Once fully funded give notice to all non engineering staff and request they reapply for the jobs. Interview board should include people from other charity based organisations. Right skills for the right position.
Pay off creditors, and leave Bruntingthorpe for a more attractive airfield with all the facilities to handle the aircraft, and not get fleeced for a high hangar rental agreement which currently I believe is around £10K - £15k a month.
Start sucking up to your die hard supporters a bit, learning to say sorry be open and you might find some cash will come your way.