PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the DC3
Thread: Flying the DC3
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2009, 11:13
Wingnuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, TKFS, not much to play with there. I guess at MAUW + 3000lbs and at ISA + 15, there is only one direction it would be heading and that’s ‘south’.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the main concerns with starting is the possibility of the oft mentioned ‘hydraulic lock’; the accumulation of engine oil and or fuel in the lower cylinders. Uncompressible, this prevents the piston’s travel short of a full length and something has to give. Usually a bent piston con rod (link rod) that may subsequently crack and break. The longer an engine stands between running, the greater will be the quantity of oil in the lower cylinders.)

In way of protection, the starter incorporates a clutch. If lock is encountered, the clutch will slip, prop stop, maybe kick back a little, but no damage. This protection is lost any time the prop is turned by hand.

To clear a lock, a spark plug needs to be removed from the lower cylinders and the engine cranked over.

For a quick fix, some have been known to hand turn the prop backwards, the theory being that this allows oil to move into the exhaust pipe and then be pumped overboard via the exhaust on the subsequent start. However, depending on where the piston is in its cycle, there is the possibility of oil entering the inlet pipe rather than the exhaust. This temporally clears the lock but the oil may be forced back into the cylinder by compressed air on the next induction stroke. Expensive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Onedong. It’s basically true. I changed the names to protect the innocent, namely me. I enjoyed the video, even the chatter of the tappets.

For a cockpit video clip of starting the 3, click here:

YouTube - How to start a DC-3