PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - General Flying Services- Moorabbin Airport
Old 23rd Jan 2009, 09:39
Pilotolatino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GFS/RMIT/Oxford

flight training is an expensive hobby you're getting yourself into...until you get a nicely paying job (perhaps years after finally completing your training [CPL, MECIR, etc]).

Don't rush in...and don't get sucked in by the hype or allure of a brand name (eg RMIT, Swinburne).

At the end of the day, when you look for a flying job...you need a Commercial Pilot Licence.

It doesn't matter what CASA approved school you go to, you need that ticket...SO...my advice from personal experience:

1) Spend the time talking to schools in the area. Try to see the chief flying instructor. Some mightn't give you the time of day. Spend time talking to the guy/woman. What vibe are you getting from them?

2) avoid schools with overseas or airline contracts. why? Because these schools pour all their resources (instructors and acft) into getting the contract sausages through in minimum time. if they don't, they foot the bill for the extra training....and that leaves you where? bottom of the pile which delays YOUR progress.

3) from 1) and 2) above, look for a school that gives as much personal attention to its students. In this regard small schools are better.

4) check out their kit - what are you flying in?

5) what am I getting for my hard earned cash? compare hire rates...why pay $350/hr for a 172 when other schools charge much less? every dollar saved is more time in the air for YOU

6) glass smasss...if you're going to be looking for a charter job after your CPL...wake up! your training will be the last time you'll see a nice new glass cockpit...once you've completed your training you'll be looking at analogue instruments (with GPS if you're lucky) for quite some time!

7) talk to the instructors and suss them out too. are they happy working there? Instructors that only get paid for the hours they fly will naturally want to only do that - less effort teaching you or briefing you pre or post flight.

8) if you're looking for an instructor job after training, ask if they'll guarantee you a job afterwards. I know at least one at YMMB which does.

9) How long's the flying course take? 12 months should be long enough. Training split over a longer period = more flying lessons required = more $$

10) Remember, flying schools are a business. They are there to make money. You, the customer have a choice.

On most criteria above, RMIT & GFS / Oxford don't cut it. They're all the same company anyway.

Best of luck in choosing a school. All the best for your career.