PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will driving from SYD to Kununurra kill me?
Old 23rd Jan 2009, 06:00
Tiger 77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possibly the most ill informed piece of advice I have seen on the whole thread.
Theres a very good reason why that advice is mentioned... its true and may save your life.

Regarding rendering assistance if you accidently drive over one of our indigenous mates... well it depends a lot on the situation. But I know of many cases where a driver accidently hit someone lying drunk on the road, got out of their car and tried to help only to be confronted by the family/mates of the injured and bashed. If theres nobody else around to bash you, I'd go and help.

I also know of a doctor who was called up to help a young kid who was on the other side of the river. The entire community was out there and pressuring this doc to swim across the croc infested river to help. He felt so threatened by how violent they were becoming that he had no choice but do it.

I've spent plenty of time in indigenous communities to know that these people will revert to violence to solve any issue. They will see you as the bad guy if you run over someone from their group, even though you may be trying to help. Just be careful.

As for the drive in general, its a long way but nothing really to worry about. Got a mate in Brissy who's about to do it in an early 90's Camry, shouldnt have a problem at all.

Tiger