PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2009, 04:29
Smeagels Boyfriend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning back to LGA?

Absolutly no way on the earth would you want to turn an aircraft at 1200 feet more than 90 degrees (actually loooks like 120 ish) back to LGA ACROSS NEW YORK. I'm no expert on the glide distance of an A320 but it would have been less than the actual glide distance he actually achived just due to the loss of lift in the turn. In my view that would have been a massive risk and almost certainly ended up with HUGE loss of life. Go's against every basic instinct taught at an elementary level, loose engines and turn towards one of the biggest citys on earth Hmmmmmlet me think, maybe not. I'm sure his logic would have been (in that split second) possibly land in a New York street and definatly die, or maybe make it in the Hudson. I'm certain he made 100% the correct call becuase they all made it.

Looking at the map above it looks like he made the decision at 3:28 and 1600 feet to ditch the LGA idea, and frankly i don't blame him. Just look at his position, where he had to glide to and over what!