PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Big changes for Qantas cadets
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2009, 23:47
mcgrath50

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Krusty, (when I started this, it was directed at you, by the end it became directed not so much at you but the cadet bashers before you)

The cadetship is a very real option for me (as is RAAF and GA). At the moment I am learning to fly, almost at GFPT level, every cent of it my money that I have earnt. I plan to get my PPL before I start whatever it is I end up doing, still all out of money I have earnt since about 14 saving up.

If I get on the cadetship or go GA I will eventually get to a point where I run out of my money, and that my job I am doing at the time can't cover for, then I will have to get money of parents - who I will definitely pay back as it would seriously effect their ability to retire - and then student loans from banks.

It is one of my pet hates that occurs here and to an extent where I fly, they assume it's 'daddy' paying for his pride and joy to be a pilot. It's not. I am working my but off for something I love.

Oh and I have no aviation links in my family. So all of you who say the cadetship is for rich, captains son's (and daughters), get off your high horse all of you who say that that is what it's there for. Every route has a 'hard yards section', GA, RAAF, QF Cadetship. They are all different.

In my opinion the perfect flight deck at QF would be a Cadet, a RAAFie and a GA man, the three backgrounds of experience, if used properly and not ignored because each thinks they are better than the other, will create an exceptional environment.

My 2c