PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - War Zone on Channel 5
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2009, 20:00
green_king

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong focus??

If this programme has indeed been put on hold then that is a shame as it does give the public an incite into the lives of some people in AFG, and is keeping the military in the public eye. However, it does portray KAF as a bit of a holiday camp and it appears to the naive watcher that everyone is having a great time! Anyone who has been there will know that this isn't the case, and although there are far too many REMFs that work mon-fri 9-5, have 3 hours for lunch each day and spend the evenings drinking coffee and having takeaway, there are also a vast number of other troops whose AFG experience is incomparable with that of people that work in the benign area that is KAF. I don't think this came across during the programme, and while i appreciate sending camera crews out with troops or aircraft into the green zone just isn't practical, i feel that they could've made more reference to the guys who are actually outside the wire fighting the war, as opposed to those who are effectively at KAF on a jolly to get a medal!

I liked the comment made earlier that only the wearer of a medal knows how just it's award was, however, i suspect this is scant consolation to those who have actually put themselves on the line to earn it, when they see some REMF sporting the exact same medal having never been in any danger during their "tour" in AFG.