PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 28 Day rule for UK airstrips under threat
Old 16th Apr 2002, 07:11
CAVOK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just had a look at the consultation document and I think it is worth understanding the issue here.

This "28 day rule" applies to a wide range of activities, including car-boot sales etc. The problem is that operators are doing things like using adjoining fields so that they can run a car boot sale every weekend of the year, thus by-passing legislation, as each is only used for 28 days. I understand the problem - we have one like this locally. The issue for us aviators is that the rule could be changed to address this sort of abuse, without even considering aviation.

I also reckon that slight changes to the letter help with credibility, rather than everyone sending the same one, though any response to the consultation is better than none.

My response is below. Feel free to plagiarise.

---------------
Dear Mr Clark,

I am writing in response to the Central Government’s document Consultation On Possible Changes To The Use Classes - Order And Temporary Uses Provisions Review. In particular, I have concerns about the future policy on temporary land use ("the 28 day planning rule").

As I understand it, the 28 day planning rule applies to occasional use of private airstrips for general aviation. Whilst the review correctly considers abuses of the current rule, such as repeated use of adjoining land for regular car-boot sale markets to avoid the 28 day restriction, any proposed change must take into account the multiple activities currently covered by the rule and not apply a blanket change that does not differentiate between activities. In particular, changes must not restrict aviation inadvertently in order to curtail other inappropriate activities.

Therefore, unless the government can provide assurance that general aviation would not be affected by a change, I would have to reply to questions 17 and 18 as follows:

Question 17: "Which option for temporary use provision do you most favour. Would you prefer an alternative option not set out in the paper?"

Option 1 – No change.

Question 18: "Why do you prefer your chosen option?"

As a recreational pilot, I support the continuance of the numerous small airstrips that exist in the UK. Indeed, with development and legislation placing more and more restriction on General Aviation, the continuance of private airstrips is essential to maintain GA in the UK. In a wider context, the case for general aviation needs to be more clearly understood by the community in the UK, as a generator of jobs, a provider of a wide range of services to the community, a recreational activity, a training ground for commercial pilots and a catalyst for innovative UK industry. I urge you to consider carefully the impact of any changes on this valuable industry and activity.