PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety on board and cutlery
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2009, 18:37
tec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety on board and cutlery

Recently on a long-haul flight from Europe to Asia I was slightly surprised to find that on-board meals were accompanied by metal cutlery - there was a standard stainless steel fork as well as a knife.

It made me think - with steel items like these, wouldn't one be able to cause serious injuries to either fellow passengers or the cabin crew? Of course nothing happened nor have I heard of any incidents, but does the security assessment of allowing metal cutlery (that I assume has been carried out) indeed just rely on expectation of all passengers being mentally sound and otherwise with good intentions?

Maybe I am being too paranoid, but what is the point of actually removing all sharp items from hand baggage when there are sharp items given out to everyone on board?

Just now thinking - I guess one could also take a metal fork from an airport restaurant and take this on board. Although this is probably a different case.

Not sure if this is perhaps common practice - but isn't it then rather a security issue? On most domestic flight in Europe I have never got any metal items, only plastic knives and forks.

Thanks!