PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DA42 TwinStar crashes at Lands End, (Merged)
Old 22nd Jan 2009, 16:47
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think it offers the best ride when the going gets rough - so you certainly need to prepare your passengers for the worst if the conditions are bumpy. I hit my hand on the plexiglass on one occasion very hard! - but my only fault for not ensuring the belt was really tight. Mind you I definitely prefer shoulder straps.
Fuji

I have a very good friend who is an elderly ferry pilot. He was ferrying one across the north atlantic 200 miles out to sea and claims the Canopy came open. Knowing him its possible as he probably didnt close it properly
He further claimed that because of the air rush at cruise speed he could not close it.

He then stalled the aircraft and while in the stall closed it properly

I do not think the aircraft is aerodynamic as the intial tests indicated a TAS of around 200 kts at 12000 feet.

With all the bits and cooling that came to a reality of around 130 kts indicated and 155 tas which was a big downer on initial expectations.

I too would love to know how the 180 hp avgas versions perform as to me that would still be an economical but more reliable bet.

The 170 hp diesels sound far more interesting but as you said how much more reliable?

Pace