PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stowaway body found at LHR
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2002, 05:36
innuendo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

posted 15th April 2002 17:13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I represented BA in the Cuban stowaways case referred to by Newswatcher.
Expert medical opinion given at the Inquest was that the stowaways died long before they were frozen because of the rate of change of atmospheric pressure in the climb. (The aircraft was a 777). The pathologist estimated that they were probably dead before 10,000'

I am not a pathologist and therefore am reluctant to challenge his statement however I am amazed that a RATE of change produced by a 777 could cause death before 10,000 feet.
My old military aircraft could do lift off to FL350 in about 2 minutes on a cold day and the cockpit pressurization was a small differential. Granted the wheel well is zero pressurization but a 777 is no rocket compared to the power to weight ratio of a fighter with two engines and afterburners. (The aircraft in question weighed 45,000lbs and had 34,000 lbs thrust on an ISA day)
To look at the other side of the coin, a spreadeagled skydiver in free fall at, say half terminal velocity of about 60 mph, (give or take, not sure what they actually do) is dropping at a bit over 5000 fpm and suffers no ill effects. As I say I am a bit baffled at the pathologists statement. I have never heard of a climb rate being fatal in the lower atmosphere.