PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tattoos and the Airlines.....
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2009, 14:04
rockrats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once heard a story from a senior driver that years back (in the good ol' days!!) he had a Captain up frontfrom Paddington to Bristol.

It was very thick fog, and the Pilot found it hard that there where no radar's as such or in fact anything at all to tell the driver where you were... Doing 125mph in the fog with only your knowledge of the route to guide you, you were basically driving blind?! You look, or 'feel', marker points along the route to confirm where you are.

Also back then there were only the very basic of safety systems fitted, unlike todays HST's. They now give you advanced warning of speed changes, and signal changes, so its not all so 'last minute' to react, thus giving a safe, smooth ride.

Should anything happen, a full brake applicaton made would still take 1.5 miles to stop from 125....on a dry rail in good conditions..

The Pilot sadly got out after the first stop (Reading) and went to sit with the pax. I think in my opinion, he got a little disorientated, not knowing exactly where he was, kind of an 'out of control' type feeling if you get me??

God how i wish we could have people up front......