PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2006 Willowbank 206 crash
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2009, 13:04
Angle of Attack

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts
I disagree regarding no one uses mixture etc for a single engine aircraft, I regulary turned off the fuel valve discretely thus delaying the failure by 10 secs or so to give the students a real unexpected failure. Don't get me wrong never EFATO though lol, always at a high altitude. EFATO always the throttle and at least have 400ft or so otherwise cant really do much else but push the nose down then add power. Regarding mixture use for engine failures I beg to differ although my GA days were in mid to late 90's I never heard of anyone using a throttle for engine failures, has it changed now that the throttle is always used? I cant see a difference personally, whether its throttle or mixture, yes a throttle linkage could break, so could a mixture linkage? the props turning spark plugs firing as soon as you re-introduce fuel by mixture it fires, the chance of it not firing are the same as if you used the throttle. Fully feathered landings are way more dangerous, in those cases you dont have the engine full stop. Anyway I dont have an opinion either way whats more correct just wondering if its true that no one uses mixture anymore?