PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DAE Flight Academy: Students' feedback please!
Old 22nd Jan 2009, 11:00
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Hiya S.F.L.Y., I understand a bit better now what you are trying to achieve regarding the screening issue – pointing out that they are not a mandatory legal requirement. While most screening processes are based on tried and tested standards, I agree some are perhaps less well “tried and tested” – I can think of one for an Air Taxi operator which was well intentioned but a bit strange to put it mildly when I was told about it! Mike.Park can take the hit about how much screening you have personally endured!

I can’t comment on this particular FTOs quality as I don’t know them. As I said, I stumbled across this thread while surfing of a rainy UK evening with little on TV, but I did think that the topic of Screening is often a source of debate here in the UK. In that more generic guise, I felt that the subject deserves much wider publicity through the mainstream Training forums which is where this topic would reach a much wider audience. Perhaps a Thread split would be more appropriate as the overall question regarding DAE posed by SilveR5 is a valid one and which many prospective students may find useful. Just an idea......!

I must admit, from your initial posts, I did get the impression that, not directed specifically at DAE but at all FTO’s, you were suggesting that Screening was simply a way for FTO’s to make a quick buck and the process served very little use outside that. Your aim of explaining such screening is entirely laudable (and worthy of wider dissemination) but I would venture that the reasons for screening from any FTOs point of view go much deeper than initially meets the eye, and potential students should be aware of that. While I agree that published Pass Rates do not include those not presented for Test, they often do include the percentage of 1st Time passes – one reason for an FTO to ensure only the best students fill the available slots.

Many FTOs do not want weak students who do eventually pass (I doubt many students would spend $1,000s and simply walk away from the Course) to be associated with them at Airline interviews and further on during their airline training. Even the fact they may complete their training elsewhere can be seen as a “black mark” against the original FTO. I can guess where the potential FO will pin the blame when asked at Interview why they switched!!! I would venture that the phrase “I was such a poor student that the FTO would not issue a 170A (the UK tick required before a student can present himself/herself for Test)” will not be top of the list of excuses used! As I said in my last post, the additional financial profit to be made from a weak student simply will not outweigh the negative impact on the credibility of the FTO. After all "bad news always sticks; good news is always forgotten" when it comes to reputations!

I agree potential students should be made fully aware of why any FTO may want to screen potential students and not accept them – no matter how much money the potential student has! Am I paranoid? Well, apart from the fact that I know that “they are all out to get me” I don’t think so! It’s just that I’ve seen enough of the training system as a Student and as an Instructor to know just how much FTOs prize their reputation – certainly here in the UK. Hence the Screening! I guess the real question is why should the student pay? That, alas, seems to be the accepted norm. Anyway, think I understand where you are coming from a bit better now.

Cheers, H 'n' H