PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2009, 09:49
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True to most of that. However RYR seem to have the philosophy that they must be able to claim the lowest 'fare'. They still have to make a profit. They try to claim "why should day pax subsidise longer time baggage carrying pax?" Some merit in that, but the charges bear no relation to the incurred costs. Indeed it is the baggage carrying pax who subsidise the hand bag only pax. Thus RYR can claim the lowest fares. Con.
The government (UK) has agreed with the consumer that bank charges have to be realistic relative to the costs involved. Many refunds have been imposed due to over charging. What's the difference in other consumer products namely airline tickets. Imagine if restaurants lowered their food prices on the menu and then added outrageous 'service charge' for the table, chairs and cutlery. OK, eaters would look at the bottom line, or just take-away. Either way I'm sure the restaurant would lose out eventually. Cinemas with very cheap tickets to watch the film, but a heavy charge for head phones to listen. The possibilities go on & on.
Imagine where it could go if airline policy wormed its way into everyday life? Everything, restaurants, films, hotels, etc. etc. were cheapest for those who booked earliest. Life would collapse. There are those who'd say the market would decide. Perhaps so, but what a mess it would be in the meantime. It no longer would be a 'service industry' society, but profits at any cost. Dog eat dog. The viloence of capitalism. Is that what we really want to live in? A fair price for a fair product. Value for money. What's wrong with that? It used to be a similar price across many products in many areas and the customer service and customer experience decided it. Agreed, the internet shopping has changed life, but after sales service still sways the choice of many.
However, I doubt it will change; not quickly.