PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cockpit voice recording to be used as evidence in pilot's manslaughter trail in NZ
Old 11th Apr 2001, 08:34
ditchy

I think bboy the obvious point is this. The reason why most of us are so up in arms about this case, is the Police and The Crown Prosecutor are not in the least bit interested in furthering the cause of aviation safety, or for that matter learning from this tragedy. Their interest begins and ends with securing a conviction and it seems they’ll stop at nothing to get it.

Centaurus has hit the nail on the head. Interpreting a CVR requires not only an intimate knowledge of operational aspects such as SOP’s and so forth, but also an understanding of the aircraft concerned. Even then it’s just that, an interpretation. Will the representatives of the Crown be interested in interpreting the CVR in the interests of aviation safety, or for the purpose of winning the case? And which of those are in the best interests of the public? After all that’s who they claim to be serving isn’t it?

The question I put to the Crown is, has the public interest been best served by the committal of Police resources to this case? And what has it all cost the tax payer I wonder? I’m sure bboy on your salary you wouldn’t like to foot the bill.