PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DAE Flight Academy: Students' feedback please!
Old 21st Jan 2009, 22:24
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Mike.Park,

Your Post #60 is an excellent summary of why many FTOs may not want a particular student to train with them! As you say, most of the major FTOs now use such a screening process as explained in the article cited in your Post #63.

Alas, erikN, a student is simply not doing their FTO any favours at all by getting a weak 2nd time pass after flying 30% over the minimum hours simply because they can pay for that luxury. To the FTO, the profit derived from a failing student is far less than the cost to their reputation, in the eyes of both the airlines and future potential good students, through reduced 1st time pass rates which (rightly or wrongly) is a key benchmark used by many people (and airlines) when assessing the quality of an FTO. You may not like the idea – but that’s the way it is!

In addition, a weak student who will probably not make the grade is actually taking up a valuable training slot/resources which could be better utilised to train a “natural” pilot through to an fATPL. Later on, the same “weak” pilot (now with a bare pass fATPL), if finally taken on by an airline, will probably struggle with the conversion and line training, which causes the airline additional headaches (and costs!), something which reflects badly on the FTO in the eyes of the airlines’ Head of Training. Even a failed Sim assessment by an airline prior to any formal conversion training costs them time and money!

Of course, it goes without saying that the GFT and IR produce a minimum standard. However, and most importantly, in Flight Safety terms, if there are people who can achieve better than the “minimum” standard, and do so with ease, then they are the people who should be nurtured by the Aviation Industry, thus ensuring Pax and Cargo gets delivered safely by the best possible crews!

It is a fact of life that, the number of $$$’s in a persons bank account has absolutely no bearing whatsoever to the natural flying ability of the pilot! I guess, if someone does not want to invest a bit up front to check that they will not be risking the $1,000s they will be spending on their course, that is up to them. But, at the end of the day, an FTO does not want to waste their time and reputation on a weak student – no matter how rich they are. And, I for one, only want to fly with the best when the chips are down and my life depends on my buddy sat next to me on the flight deck, or on the two guys/gals up front if I am pax!

Call me picky – but best pilot gets my vote every time, not the richest!

Cheers, H 'n' H

Mods Just an idea, but as this thread seems to be heading off topic now, but is of general interest, would it be better transferred into the mainstream "Training" forum? I just came across this by chance while browsing!