PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dream VS The Reality
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2009, 15:30
EN48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to start my own business as EN48 was discussing as it can be far more productive financially but at 26 I am unsure of myself in such pursuits
This is to be expected at 26. Relatively few people start their own business at this age (Bill Gates being a notable exception) , so dont rule this out prematurely. What you may wish to consider is a course of action that prepares you to be in a position to start a business somewhere in your thirties, which is a more typical age to start a business. And, you need not be the one who starts the business, but rather one who joins early in the company's history in a significant position (usually management, but sometimes as an "idea" guy contributing strongly to successful new product developments). You might consider spending a few years affiliating with companies which provide exposure and experience valuable to starting a business. Perhaps most important is to make a plan that allows you to arrive where you want to be at various stages of life and to work diligently to make this plan happen. Detours will happen, but its vitally important to keep the goal in mind/sight. Far too many of my friends and colleagues over the years have just let life happen to them, rather than working hard to influence the outcome. Nothing wrong with this if you dont care much where you end up.

Last edited by EN48; 21st Jan 2009 at 15:41.