PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If dual eng. failure ditching had been a B737NG..what procedures would you consider?
Old 21st Jan 2009, 14:22
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to see the initiative, ea. From the comfort of my computer seat, here's a 'first shot':-

PF: Look for somewhere to land/crash. Tell ATC. Best clean glide speed.
PNF Frantic hot restart attempts + light APU then on buses ASAP. Cabin emergency call. Flap as called by PF, either with lever or as much on standby as possible if no APU. GPWS inhibit (although not really too important!). Outflow closed. Engine bleeds if time. Engine start levers closed. Brace call.

PF meanwhile calls for flaps as appropriate and crosses everything. Touchdown as slow as possible.

BOTH: Harnesses so tight you squeal. APU may as well stay running, since there is no real danger of significant water ingress through the inlet and I guess the APU bleed will be off.

Not in any checklists/text as far as I am aware, but what do folk think of trying to 'fly' the nose up to avoid it 'diving under' once impact has occurred? There will certainly be lots of 'Q' for the elevator. I think I'd prefer that to getting 160kt Hudson through the nose into my face.