PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the DC3
Thread: Flying the DC3
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2009, 11:53
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Reminds me of an entry in my logbook which simply says 'Hoskins slide' .At the time I was just a sprog F/O but after a few hundred hours in PNG under the tutorship of a particular master of the art, I could 3 point the Gooney Bird with the best of them. Flying for the first time with a Captain from another base, leg for leg, he was wheeling it on, I was doggedly 3 pointing it when it was my go, and of course the discussion came to which produced the shortest landing. Pissing contest commences.
His turn, going in to Hoskins with a fair bit of rain about and landing slightly down hill to save time. The old terminal was at the beach end of the runway. A bit fast, but he greases it on, jumps on the brakes. Nothing. I look out the window and say 'Jim, my wheel's locked - you are skidding'. Eventually he gets the tail down but about then he realises he won't get it stopped, so next thing he deliberately ground looped it. We went off the far end going backwards at about 5 knots I suppose. It took two Landrovers and some ropes to haul the old girl back up onto the runway. He swore me to secrecy and was always good for free SP (SP Lager to the uninitiated, aka Swamp Piss) after that one.