PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2009, 10:20
Maus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gosh! I have been away from this site for years, it seems - and now I remember why. Same old 'faces' (hi CarnageMatey!) with clearly nothing better to do than to comment on the t&cs of other departments- to what end, I always wonder? No social life then? Answer: "Oh, I lead a robust and exciting social life". hmmmmmm...
I am LHR WW crew on the new contract. I used to love my job, but sadly, the job has changed so much so I am organising myself to leave. I know I am good at my job, I (almost without exception) love the passengers and I would want to be served by me! (putting trumpet away now) I work a lot on the upper deck and enjoy a good relationship (almost without exception) with the Flight Crew. I try and keep them happy and do whatever I can to help them out. The few times I have been on this site, have made me so mad with the self-righteous posts from Flight Crew, that I have battled to keep muttering the mantra, "It's only a few who are like that..."
I used to work for other big organisations (Marks & Spencer's Head Office amongst others) and have been privy to what is on the chopping block when the chips are down. I am no Communist, but funny how when pay cuts are bandied about, they rarely seem to be across the board. Those at the bottom of the pile that have the most to lose, are targeted first.
I have worked for BA for almost 12 years now, with many upsets along the way, but overall, it has been good. Changes to my T&cs have taught me not to trust the management. They are there to cut costs at any price and then move on. Quite how a customer-service oriented business and shareholders can work together, is beyond me. It seems all very pyramidal to me: cut costs repeatedly to make a profit in order to pay shareholders dividends, until there is no more blood to be wrung from the stone. Then what? I'm guessing sub-contracting to third-world countries? Oooh paranoia. I can't pretend to be an Economics graduate, though, so maybe I'll keep my mouth shut on that...
My (rather long-winded) point (apologies) is that nothing was ever suggested to us by the management to do anything but cut my wages or my t&cs. What fool would believe that although BA needs to cut costs in IFS, we would hardly notice the difference in our pay packet? I am open to discussion and I am realistic. But when I see what cuts management are taking in order that we all shoulder this burden, I might feel even more open to negotiation.
I am off now to pursue MY hectic social life so happy flying one and all! Peace and all that....